It is becoming ever busier in our cities and the space is increasingly limited. So it makes sense to use the space we do have as well and as attractively as we can. One way to realise that is stacked use of space. Examples of this are multi-storey car parks with planted and walk-on roofs, or apartment complexes with mezzanine roof areas and gardens on them. That delivers space, but also a better quality of life and a more attractive environment.
Nophadrain podium roofs provide for optimum utilization of roofs. One prerequisite, however, is that the architect and structural engineer take account in the design of the extra demands placed by an installation of this type of roof.
A podium roof deck does not have a natural substrate. For installation of pedestrian paving, therefore, the Nophadrain system for podium roof decks takes account of the following:
• The difference in structural behaviour of the support construction: natural substrate versus roof construction
• The waterproofing membrane: suitable for static and dynamic loading
• The roof construction: traditional warm roof, inverted roof, non-insulated roof
• The pressure-resistance of the thermal insulation
• The type and layer thickness of the ballast materials: foundation layer, filler layer, paving layer
• The type of paving
• The use, and the intensity of it, by people and the loads that creates.